MoAD Guides with African American Art Collector Melvin Holmes
MoAD’s Guide Program provides an opportunity for members of the public to support the museum’s mission to connect all people through the art, culture, and history of the African Diaspora. The Guide Program features interactive and broad training on the African Diaspora, related history, and contemporary art. MOAD guides promote the museum’s mission and enrich the public’s experience by providing guided tours and a friendly, welcoming face to all visitors. Through training sessions, and events, guides will learn how to best serve the needs and interests of our diverse visitors.
Expectations of the MoAD Guides
- A passion for learning about and discussing the African Diaspora.
- A sincere and genuine interest in people of all ages and backgrounds.
- An attitude of tolerance and respect for different points of view.
- The ability to work and communicate with the public.
- A positive, welcoming, and supportive attitude.
- Familiarity with the current Museum exhibitions and events.
- The ability to attend all required training sessions and fulfill allotted monthly time requirements.
Guides make a commitment of six months and are required to attend monthly trainings. Six hours per month over the extent of the program are required. Time can be fulfilled by volunteering at the museum’s Heritage Center or by guiding school/organization tours. Weekly shifts are encouraged.
All Guide Trainings will be held at MoAD from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The weekly trainings are held on consecutive Saturdays, and attendances for all six trainings are mandatory. Please note dates for fall and spring trainings.
2013 Guide Trainings
October 12, October 19, October 26, November 2, November 9 and November 16.
2014 Guide Trainings
March 15, March 22, March 29, April 5, April 12 and April 19.
MoAD guides are volunteers and are not paid. A MoAD membership is offered after three months of consecutive service.
If you are interested in attending the next training please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please.