Melvin Holmes (center), African American Collector, with MoAD Guides
MoAD’s Guide Program provides an opportunity for members of the public to support the museum’s mission to connect all people through the art, culture, and history of the African Diaspora. Guides are an extension of the museum, and provide guided tours and other services to enrich visitors’ experiences.
Guides should have:
- A passion for learning and sharing about the African Diaspora
- A love for and excitement about learning and sharing about the African Diaspora
- A sincere and genuine interest in people of all ages
- An attitude of tolerance and respect for different points of view
The Guide Program features interactive broad training on the African Diaspora, related history, and contemporary art. Guides develop their public speaking skills and learn to give informative tours that support an enriching and open atmosphere for visitors. In addition, guides help visitors build looking skills. Guides make a commitment of six months and are required to attend monthly trainings. MoAD guides are volunteers and are not paid. However they may earn a free MoAD Membership.
Guide Training Dates for 2013/2014 season
- July 13th – August 17th 2013
- October 12th – November 9th 2013
- March 15th – April 12th 2014
All Guide Trainings will be held at MoAD from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Attendance for all six trainings is mandatory.
If you are interested in attending the next training please RSVP to
No phone calls please.